Sunday, January 5, 2014

Bunraku

I watched an interesting movie last night. What makes a movie a four star movie instead of a five star? Bunraku was one of the most unusual movies I have seen in a long time. Kept my attention from beginning to end. It was like a pop-up book flowing from scene to scene. All that was missing were the balloon Pows and Whams to punctuate the action. Still, something was missing. I suppose it was that same elusive something all writers seek to make their story the one. Was the flaw in the plot, the flow, the dialogue? Was that extra star still in the writer's or the director's mind and never made it to the screen. I'm afraid I do that sometimes, because I make the assumption that the reader sees what I see, hears what I hear, and feels what I feel. I forget that they have a different reference point from me. Now I have to find a way to access someone else's interpretation of my work and hope that we are on, as some might say, the same page. Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment